Since today is the first advent, I will be lighting my first candle of the wreath shortly and celebrating this oh so joyous season. I know many people don’t like the holidays, because they associate it with shopping stress, capitalism and what not, but I like it! I order my presents conveniently on-line, I go to the Christmas market on work days and I don’t hassle to bake stuff myself (unless I feel like it). I do very much enjoy the many goodies there are to eat and drink, the cold and the merry lights. I go nuts decorating the house while singing along to the classic carols.
But, before I go on and on about what’s so great about the St. Nicholas – advent calender – Christmas time, I’ll just go ahead and list my top 5 x-massy things:
- Movie: It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra) / The Nightmare Before Christmas (Tim Burton, second because it’s mixed up with Halloween)
- Book: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Dr. Seuss) / A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens, second because it’s been filmed too often)
- Song: White Christmas (sung classically by someone like Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin)
- Food: chocolate Elisen-Lebkuchen
- Beverage: egg-nog (self-made!)
I’d like to leave you on this sunny Sunday with the words of an unknown author:
May the spirit of Christmas bring you peace,
The gladness of Christmas give you hope,
The warmth of Christmas grant you love.